The RareBreed Recording Company has very quickly made a name for themselves as the contemporary home of all things ska and reggae. Their 2015 Summer sampler was in heavy rotation in my headphones followed by their Winter 15/16 sampler in a very close second. I find myself anxiously awaiting their now seasonal releases.
In an effort to change things up, the most recent sampler has been released as a pair of two compilations from both RareBreed and their partner label Paper + Plastick. If you’ve ever downloaded a RareBreed sampler, you’ll notice it’s coming from the Paper + Plastick Limited Run page. Where as RareBreed will focus on the ska and reggae, Paper + Plastick aims to be the supplier of all that is up and coming in punk rock.
The joint release provides a really great blend of punk, hardcore, ska, and reggae. As cliché as it sounds, there’s really something for everyone. I find myself listening on shuffle and enjoying almost every tune. There are a handful of tracks that appear to be completely new and a few that can be found on previous releases by the respective labels.
Paper + Plastick
- Medictation – Memories of Youth
- Textbook – Outside
- The Attack – Four of a Kind
- Break Anchor – First World Problems
- Brogues – Heartbeat RPM
- Fallen From The Sky – Rebuilder
- The Bennies – Party Machine
- MC LARS – Sublime with Rome (Is Not the Same as Sublime)
RareBreed Recording Co.
- The Slackers – By the Time I Get to Sleep
- The Pomps – Downbeat Diner
- Vic Ruggiero – Heroes
- Matt Embree – Dehumanizer
- Obi Fernandez – Don’t Turn Away
- Western Standard Time Ska Orchestra – Monkey Ska
- Chris DeMakes – Wasted Years
- Brooklyn Attractors – Green Mango