- Boston/Rhode Island’s Brunt of It will be celebrating their CD Release on Saturday, December 15 at Monster Shop Allston. They’ll be joined by Lenny Lashley’s Gang of One, The Snipes, and Fort The Band. The album is called All Aboard the Cannabus and will be available on their bandcamp. The night before, they’re celebrating in Providence. Thanks to @kfdavila for sending in the tip!
- RadioBDC is giving away tickets and a “VIP Experience” (read: bottle service and lap dance from Dickey) to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones Hometown Throwdown. Actually it’s a sweet package that includes a stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Enter here.
- Pressure Cooker’s recent release, “Wherever You Go,” got a great review from the Boston Globe. “It’s hard to say which wave of reggae and ska we are currently on, but whichever one it is, Pressure Cooker is riding it very well.” Read the review. Buy the record.
- Rochester’s Mrs. Skannotto has (have? I never know) been added to The Toasters’ show at TT The Bear’s on Friday, March 1st. Tix/info here.
- Yesterday, A Guy Named Guy released their Terminals Split with D-Cent Jerks from Puerto Rico. The D-Cent Jerks tracks swing a little pop/punk while the AGNG tracks swing a bit more post-punk. Give it a listen. (and then buy it if you dig it! It’s only $2!)
Maybe it’s the seasonal good cheer or maybe it’s all the college students home on winter break, but there are more ska shows this December than there have been since I move to Boston in July.
New to the list:
12/14/12 – Home for the Skalidays: Allston – A Guy Named Guy, Short Handed Goal, Llama Tsunami, FORT! The Band, Mr. Furious – The Audio Jungle – All Ages, $5 or a Toy Donation – Facebook Event
Am I too old for this one? I have no idea [yet] what the house show scene is like. For all I know I might get shit for publicizing this show. Either way it doesn’t matter because I don’t have a clue where the Audio Jungle is. Give me a few weeks and I’ll figure it out. What you don’t know you don’t know. This is night one of a two night thing and part two is in Providence the next night. Love to Llama Tsunami from CT who are a total party.
12/21/12 – A Guy Named Guy, Poor Jeremy, The Mahlors – All Asia – 18+, 6pm
I’m not entirely sure what’s up with this show because All Asia is reporting one thing and A Guy Named Guy another. My thoughts on Poor Jeremy are here, A Guy Named Guy has an EP here, though they threaten it may not be free for much longer. Also they have a split with Puerto Rican punk/ska band D-Cent Jerks coming out this Friday. I’d be very curious to hear how that came about! The Mahlors also seem promising. Unrelated, I once had a roommate who was a guy named Guy. I think of him when I mention this band. His sister’s name was Gal. Seriously. And, here’s a tune by D-Cent Jerks:
Okay so really Survay Says is the only ska band on this bill but I adore those guys. My NYC ska/punk band played with them once or twice. Also, in the mid-2000s, Patent Pending used to play great CT Ska shows and I’m a sucker for good pop/punk. I’m a big fan of their most recent record, Second Family (the video for Douchebag is hilarious). I’m going to try to go even though I have to be at the House of Blues an hour later to see Bosstones.
Here’s the video for “Gas Money Millionaires” by Survay Says:
This is actually what I would classify as “too many ska shows.” I’ve seen this before. People are only gonna go to so many shows and then promoters complain ska shows don’t draw. Here’s to hoping this won’t be the case…